ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Addendum to Proposals

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Addendum to Proposals
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 00:31:30 -0400

At 14/06/2010 04:54 PM, Jeff Eckhaus wrote:
Those opposed to JN2 and other proposals seem to agree that cross-ownership is appropriate, but that ICANN will not be able to police any restrictions on data sharing between a registry and registrar. They believe that we cannot simply rely on Registrars to adhere to a signed agreement. Thus, because compliance will be too difficult to enforce, we must limit cross-ownership.

For an interesting example of the level of registrar adherence to their signed agreements, and of ICANN's ability to monitor even simple things, take a look at http://www.circleid.com/posts/who_is_blocking_whois/ if you haven't already done so. NOTE: This had NOTHING to do with VI. But it is an example of a case where compliance is moderately easy, there is little to be gained by a principled registrar not following the agreement, and monitoring is not terribly onerous, albeit somewhat tedious if not automated.

Alan