ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Addendum to Proposals

• To: "'Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx'" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Proposed Addendum to Proposals
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:45:51 +0200

Ah yes, picking apart suggestions that lack detail to dismantle the entire argument instead of making constructive criticisms...
1. What is an "audit"? Is it the same thing in Beijing, Brussels and
Marina del Rey?
While this was not detailed in the proposal itself, the required level of autiting can easily be detailed in the agreements. While audits may take different forms in different countries, no one is proposing that such audits should not include a minimum standard that must be fulfilled and documented in each country for such an audit to have value. While I am not a bit fan of automatic audits myself, I can see the arguments behind it.
2. Is the "Registry Operator or its Affiliate [which] may serve as an
ICANN-Accredited Registrar in any top-level domain other than the TLD
for which Registry Operator or its Affiliate serves as the Registry
Operator” Verisign, or is that a non-issue to the few registrars
proposing that they be allowed to form registrar-registry combines?
According to the wording of that paragraph alone, then yes, it could be Verisign. However, such policy could easily be adapted and extended to include further market power limitations, if such limitation is seen as necessary in this WG. No one policy suggestion should be interpreted alone, out of context.
It may be an issue to registrars with no desire to form
registrar-registry combines but anticipate competing form the new gTLD
registrar market ... absent the re-entry into the registrar market of
the previous unified monopoly incumbent, and entity with $5.1bn in
capitalization.
Agreed, the elephant in the room is there and it is good that you mention him. However, do you think it to be reasonable to make rules that bind the mice the same way as the elephant?
It is real simple to add market cap language, so why has that been
overlooked?
I do not think it has been. At the moment, we are at the stage of making suggestions for a working framework, adding pieces of the puzzle one piece at a time. You seem to be arguing that one piece of the puzzle does not fit the big picture because it does not contain the part of the image that is on a different piece.
3. The schedule/details TBD/penalties/costs/independent/rotating
machinery sounds nice, but how does it work? Is it conducted in
English only or French or Chinese from time to time?
As these are gTLDs under ICANN policies, I imagine that the English language is required for auditing purposes, however it may well be reasonable to use a native language of the registry with a certified english translation (with the notable possible exception of languages with less than 2000 (random number) native speakers to prevent abuse of this provision, unless the TLD is tailored directly for this cultural group). As far as support of registrars goes, limiting this to the native tongue of the registry may be reasonable, as may be the requirement to provide a most basic english translation of registration policies and accreditation requirements. It may be reasonable to require one english speaking staff member for communication with ICANN, but the same thing need not be true for registrar support. What do you propose?

Best regards,

Volker Greimann

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy