ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Audit Responsibilities

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Audit Responsibilities
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:14:01 -0500

.. I read your question as sincere.   If I may make another riff on the
'audit' argument.

In my view it is the regulator - ICANN - that has the audit responsibility.
 So the duty to set the audit framework rests with ICANN, not the registrar
or registry.

In my view, ICANN is yet to demonstrate any kind of fidelity to its audit
responsibilities; see reference to WHOIS audit, in context.  More
importantly - and I am subject to correction - ICANN operations does not now
exhibit the kind of infrastructure required to support its audit obligations
already enshrined in solemn agreements.  And I cannot discern any recent
operational development - staff, budget etc. - that would move the situation
from where it is right now to that which could even support the first new
gTLD added to the list.

Form ever follows function.......... I've always considered this posture a
blot on ICANN's transparency and accountability, even before the AoC.

Carlton Samuels