ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Early "atoms" poll responses

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Early "atoms" poll responses
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:59:53 -0500

hi all,

a few of you have filled in your responses to the "atoms" poll and i thought i
would push the raw results out to the list to give you a feel for how things
are going.

regarding the conversation about polls -- let me reemphasis a few points...

--  this is a consensus process and consensus is highly dependent on frequent
polling of participants to get a "sense of the group."  in the old days when
these things happened in a room, people would raise their hands or hold up
different-colored cards to indicate their views.  we're in a virtual space, so
we need to do that polling virtually.

--  these aren't votes -- that's a different decision making approach.  so
we're not going to use the polls to determine the decision.  we're using the
polls to help us identify areas of agreement (or non-agreement -- which is a
perfectly fine outcome in consensus decision-making -- it is often stated as
"we need to learn more").

--  these aren't scientific -- they're intended to be quick (almost throw-away)
tests of the sense of the group and are (hopefully) almost immediately obsolete
as people gain a deeper understanding of each others' views and change their
own positions accordingly.  nobody should feel that they are making a final
statement here -- it's a chance for you to tell the rest of us where you are
right now, that's all.

so, although i know it's somewhat outside the box for some of you, try to view
these as a vehicle for conversation and discussion.  thanks to you "early
adopters" for jumping in.  one observation, at least from the early results --
there's a pretty substantial indication of flexibility in people's views.  i
find that a hopeful thing.

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109