ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Draft exception process

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Draft exception process
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:56:55 -0400

As a member of the exceptions subgroup, I regret that I can't support Tim's
draft as it stands.  The conditions for an exception are costly and punitive
(strict structural separation) and impose expensive after-delegation conditions
(after setting up a registrar, being forced to abandon it after 30K names).
Furthermore, these exceptions would apply only to a  subset of those
registries/registrars who would be negatively impacted.

I have therefore made changes to Tim's draft, which I submit here as Word docs
(in redline and clean versions) and the clean version in PDF format for those
who don't have my version of Word, and I submit it to the subgroup and the
working group as a whole.

With these meaningful exceptions in place, I would be willing to acquiesce to
one of the proposals to impose limitations on cross-ownership or control.
Please note that my exceptions are easy to understand and do not require either
(a) substantial compliance efforts or (b) arbitrary judgment on who is
deserving and who isn't.

Antony