ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group

• To: Constantine Giorgio Roussos <costa@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: Feedback: Amended Statement on Exceptions for Vertical Integration Group
  • From: Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:14:31 +0200

Dear Constantine,

thank you for your comments. You are effectively proposing a system where "social benefit" decides on the possibility of vertical integration and excemption from equal registrar access. I see many problems with such an approach. Vertical integration WITH excemption from equal registrar access is something I will continue to oppose unless severely limited and curtailed as it effectively creates a monopoly situation which is open for abuse and exploitation in a way which would be curtailed with equal access rights guaranteed.
In the case of new entrants, we have a completely different scenario because new, innovative models that provide service and reduce search costs beyond the novelty new gTLD domain name bring more social benefits. I can equate this to the policy that the US Government has to award Green Cards to "Persons with Extraordinary Ability." These are case by case scenarios and the "persons" have the burden of proof to plead their case. I equate new gTLDs as "normal persons" and extraordinary new TLDs as "persons with extraordinary ability" that provide more cumulative social benefits on aggregate, provide lower search costs than normal as well as compete beyond the domain space using new, innovative technology or platforms that bring life to new services/products for society.
You may call it a green card, I would call it a _carte blanche_. Effectively, creative writing of the application can make sure the registry/registrar has absolute freedom.
*Some Exceptions for Vertical Integration*

* Cumulative social benefits greatly outweigh social losses on
      aggregate

As Avri said, your mileage may vary.

* New gTLDs with "Extraordinary Ability" beyond the traditional
      new gTLD, which introduce transformative innovation in the space.

Paper is patient. A lot of claims can be made in the application that will never see reality in the real world.

* Services/products (not the TLD name alone) provide competition
      beyond the traditional domain space e.g Digital Music (vs Apple
      which controls 80% of market)

Should ICANN really enter the battleground as a new competition agency? This is way beyond their set competence and would invite lawsuits by the dozens.

* Where the registrar set-up is customized and requires a more
      complex structure with other technology to service specialized
      community needs, which registrars will not provide.

Will they not? If the proposal is right and the TLD is as innovative as it is supposed to be, registrars will jump at the chance of being able to promote said TLD. Special policies have been implemented by registrars for years.

* Where traditional marketing distribution of registrars is not
      needed and a separate marketing campaign is required targeting
      specialized communities. In the case of .music, we have no
      interest in domainers registering domains and will only target
      members of our community organizations. Hence, we will not be
      leveraging existing, traditional registrar channels, because our
      gTLD is restricted and highly specialized.

And that is your right, but you can (and should) still use registrars. Many TLDs have very restrictive registration policies, which are implemented by registrars. If membership is vetted at the registry-level anyway, just give out access codes for each applicant which registrars need to include with each application. Make up any restriction you want and there will be ways to implement it. See .Museum as an example of a highliy restricted TLD.

* Where registration threshold is detrimental and costly to new
      entrants if premium domains are used and leveraged by all gTLD
      registrants for their best interest. e.g. All .music premium
      domains will be used to benefit the community according to their
      tagging selection and which
      genre/sub-genre/language/city/country/ they select to be in. To
      bring this social benefit to both the music community and to
      music fans (new products & services/reducing search costs via
      direct navigation), we have to incur significant costs which
      include payments to our registry backend provider, to ICANN, to
      the server provider and the CDN (content delivery network) for
      bandwidth costs which will be very high since it is media based.
      In addition, we have incurred development costs over the last 6
      years to provide the technology and platform. Caps such as 100k
      might be beneficial for some scenarios and not for others
      depending what counts as a registration or not and what costs
      are incurred to bring social benefits to registrants.

These investments were made either way. No need to remove equal access for registrars.

* Where society gains by lowering search costs through technology
      that aids in discovery and search

Not sure what you mean by "lowering search costs". Is that not what Google is for? ;-)

* Where society gains by preventing confusion and trademark
      concerns e.g Bands like Eagles, Prince, Queen, Kiss do not have
      their .com. By providing all international music brands with
      platinum sales their .music address, both music fans and the
      artist wins since trusted direct navigation "artist.music" can
      be used to find their favorite artists directly, also lowering
      search costs and increasing monies paid to artists, since users
      do not have to use "middlemen" Google, iTunes or 3rd party sites
      to find them.

100% implementable with registrars as well, if applications are vetted after registration and deleted if registered in violation. Also these names could be registered directly with the registry within the limits of the xxK domain names registrable under the community-exception of JN2.
These bullet points are real life examples. The 2 main costs that the Economic Report has is about trademark issues and user confusion. If those are alleviated while bringing an added benefit, it is without a doubt a social benefit, even if there is a small associated cost to it.
None of these examples require "full exclusive" VI, i.e. excemption from Rec. 19.
/"The more I think about it the more I see a flexible "exceptions" process as the only way to achieve the short-term agreement needed to move ahead. It allows us to agree that the first round of new TLD additions would go ahead on a presumption of the standard registry-registrar separation, and then allow applicants to request exceptions, which are then vetted on a case by case basis according to some simple criteria agreed by this group (Milton)" /
I think a more flexible approach will fail to reach consensus in this group more likely than a very unflexible approach.
I have to agree with Milton on this. I think the criteria should make sense, be legitimate and not complicated. I really like the statement/ "///That market power should also be a consideration in denying exception claims/ (Milton)"/

Also Volker makes a great argument: /"Regarding market power, one should also consider the market power an entity has in a range of similar TLDs, not just the one it is proposing to become registry/registrar for (Volker)"/
I wish I had come up with it, but the credit goes elsewhere. Still, it makes sense to me, so I support it.
While this does not effect .music much because we are a specialized TLD, I do believe this can be valid for gTLDs of generic nature such as .web, .site etc.
.music still sounds very generic to me. While your proposal for this string may be very specialized, who is to say there won`t be others that aren't? Anyway, I do not follow your argument that your TLD necessitates an excemption from equal access for registrars and the obligation to use registrars.

Best regards,

Volker

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy