ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Our Initial VI WG Report - an Outline

  • To: <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Our Initial VI WG Report - an Outline
  • From: "Thomas Barrett - EnCirca" <tbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:42:55 -0400

I would support including the CAM proposal in the initial report.

My position has evolved to one where ALL exceptions from 0% co/vi need to be
reviewed.  This would allow for applications that include 100% co/vi.  Any
standard that allows exceptions as a baseline is simply picking one special
interest over another.

As a Working Group, we should focus on identifying the process that is
followed to grant exemptions, not the exemptions themselves.

The Exception WG has identified types of exceptions that are expected to be
granted.  We have a concensus on these categories.  Let's assume there are
others.  We do not need to identify all the exceptions.

Consensus on types of exceptions is NOT the same as saying that any
applicant claiming one of these exceptions gets a green light without a
review.  They still need to go through a review process and be granted an
exemption by a similar body that the CAM proposal has called
"Competition/Consumer Evaluation Standing Panel".  Think of it as analogous
to the new gtld string requirements process.  This review body needs to be
in place for the first round of new gtld applications and should be
incorporated into the "Initial Evaluation" phase described in the DAG
Guidebook.

This body should be able to handle 99% of all cases without delaying
processing of individual applications.  Referral to national competition
authorities is not a desirable outcome.  There should some refund of the
application fee if an exception is not granted.

regards,

Tom Barrett
EnCirca

  _____