ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board Resolution 2010.11.05.20

  • To: Ron Andruff <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board Resolution 2010.11.05.20
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:22:54 -0500

A rare event: I agree heartily with Mr Andruff.

I'd also like to point out to Roberto that while his comments are sensible
enough in their own right (if a market regulator is needed and there is no
consensus among the interest groups involved, some decision has to be made by
the board by default) - we also need to acknowledge the fact that this is not
the model ICANN was supposed to be based on. And Palage's quotation of Dyson in
1999 just clinches that argument in a beautiful way. (It's not the only
quotation from Dyson that looks pretty foolish in retrospect, but that's off
topic for sure).

Now, as liability is dumped on registry applicants due to ICANN's corporate
"risk mitigation" strategy, and staff wants to outsource the MAPO censorship of
domain names for similar reasons, we begin to get a better idea of what kind of
a beast was created in 1998 and what it means for the internet. A private corp
with no membership, no government oversight, no global democratic legislature
making laws to guide it, making regulatory decisions based in no small part on
its own organizational self-interest. If you haven't read this yet, you might
want to take a look:
http://internetgovernance.org/pdf/ICANNInc.pdf

--MM