ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10]

  • To: "'Roberto Gaetano'" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10]
  • From: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 19:55:13 -0500

Roberto,

You could not be more correct that businesses need certitude; something that
has been sorely lacking through this entire 3-year process.  THAT is the key
point because it calls all of the issues the community is dealing with
vis-à-vis the VIWG or the length of this new gTLD process in general, into
question.  The other critical issue is how staff deals with community
comments.  For example, several constituencies have raised the issue of
community applicants clearing such an inordinately high threshold (14 of 16
points) to demonstrate nexus to their communities on multiple occasions, yet
staff continues to ignore the requests to lower the threshold by one point
to make it a more fair approach.  These examples of the Board taking
decisions without community consensus or staff slanting the AGB to fit their
desires rather than taking into account the community?s wishes are
continuing to pile up and have now reached the point that we may only need
one straw to break the camel?s back.  The unusually short public comment
period that ends on the day of the Board meeting (meaning that staff will
never be able to synthesize the comments in a manner that serves the best
interests of the community; read: appropriate consideration and appropriate
changes made to the final final AGB) could be that straw?  I, for one, am
coming to Cartagena with some trepidation because it appears that our
bobsleigh is coming into the closing turns at a speed that is more than the
sleigh can handle to stay on the track?

Kind regards,

RA

Ronald N. Andruff