ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-evaluation]

Re: CDNC concerns on IDN policy requirement on New gTLD draft guideline

  • To: gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CDNC concerns on IDN policy requirement on New gTLD draft guideline
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 17:50:12 -0500

I agree with the statement from the CDNC. The only way this rule makes sense is if it is referring to the A-label, which has more than three ASCII characters by necessity, for any U-label, even one consisting of only one non-ASCII character.

I suspect that this is a typo, since we've been clear on the subject for ages, that reasonable CJK labels exist which have fewer than three characters, though longer is possible, and the restriction is sensible for ASCII labels, to avoid the iso3166 reserved string space.

Eric Brunner-Williams
(wearing my "I used to be more involved with the CDNC" hat)