ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

FW: I would like to be on the Wednesday call

  • To: <gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: I would like to be on the Wednesday call
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 11:31:28 -0500

NOTE:  These comments are from me personally and may not necessarily reflect
the views of my company or the gTLD Registries Constituency.

Question 1:

In Module 5, which I believe that contains the draft agreement, Section 2.8 of
the New gTLD Draft agreement states: "Registrar Relations. [TBD-See Paper to be
posted on ICANN's website discussing registrar marketplace issues]".  The one
paper that has come out has talked about giving ICANN some flexibility in
allowing for two specific business models, but does not address (i) any other
potential business models, (ii) what retroactive effect the recommendations of
the paper have on existing registries or (iii) any of the other provisions
currently in all unsponsored gTLD Agreement relating to equitable access.  My
initial questions are as follows:

1.        What is the process for finalizing the "Registrar Relations"
obligations including the ones cited above?

2.       When is that expected to be completed?

3.       When will the public have an opportunity to comment on the outcomes?

4.       There is no mention here of requirements that be included in a
"Registry-Registrar Agreement."  Does that mean each applicant is allowed to
propose whatever it wants in a registry-registrar agreement?

Question 2:

Same agreement, Section 6.1 states that the average price of registrations
"include al bundled products or services that may be offered by Registry
Operator and include or are offered in conjunction with a domain name
registration".

1.       Please explain exactly what was meant by ICANN in this statement.

2.       Please explain how this relates to ICANN collecting fees from
registries as a "cost recovery" mechanism which was cited as the purpose of
collecting fees.

3.       Please explain how this relates to ICANN as a non-profit organization
as opposed to a for-profit revenue sharing arrangement.

4.       Please explain why ICANN is not protected with a minimum as it relates
to cost recovery.  In other words, in most for-profit commercial arrangements,
there is EITHER a minimum OR a rev share but not both.  It appears that ICANN
wants to have "its cake and eat it too."

5.       How does this comport with the GAO study on ICANN several years back
which talked about ICANN's cost recovery mechanism as opposed to a taxation on
income?

Again, these are just a few of the questions I have and I approve these being
posted.  Thanks!

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.: NeuStar, Inc.
Vice President, Law & Policy

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.