ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

Preamble

  • To: gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Preamble
  • From: maruyama@xxxxxxxxx (MARUYAMA Naomasa)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 04:18:17 +0900 (JST)

Dear Sir,

  I think the Application Guidebook should contain a preamble to give
overall image of the New gTLD process in the context of ICANN's policy
making.  For those who read the Guidebook for the first time, it is
particularly important that the guidebook to be self-contained.  I
think the guidebook tries to explain all the details of the
application process itself(I truely appreciate all the effort made by
the staff for that), but lacks an explanation about the positioning of
the process in the whole ICANN's policy making.  This is a shortcoming
of the guidebook in the sense that it will be hard for those who are
not familiar with activities of the ICANN to understand the meaning of
the process.

  My image of the preamble is:
- At most one page long,
- having a rough explanation about the history of the PDP process,
- having an explanation about purpose of creating new gTLDs in the
  context of ICANN's mission, especially about the idea that gTLDs are
  for registry operators and for promoting competition in the domain
  name market(thus the Registry-Registrar model will be enforced).

I hope my comment will be useful.

Best regards.

----
(Mr.) NaoMASA Maruyama