ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

Comments on the new gTLD Draft Applicant Guidebook

  • To: gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx;
  • Subject: Comments on the new gTLD Draft Applicant Guidebook
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:52:08 -0600

My name is Mike O'Connor - I'm a business owner and member of the business wing of the Business Constituency.

My comments on the new gTLD process will be in shorthand, as others have described my positions and I'm merely adding one more "vote" to positions you already understand.

- I like the idea of a lot more gTLDs and consider myself part of the "let 1000 flowers bloom" school of gTLD management. I know that this isn't really a relevant comment, given that the decision to go forward with new gTLDs has already been taken, but I state it here as a counterweight to those who'd like to revisit that decision.

- I agree with those who highlight the high price of entry (both the application fee and the ongoing $75,000 floor for the annual minimum) and share their concern that this will limit the creation of niche or small-community TLDs. I hope that these will be revised downward in the next draft.

- I share the concerns expressed over tiered pricing, the lack of price caps and "equal treatment Trojan Horse" impacts - and agree that these should be addressed in the next draft.

Thanks,

Mike O'Connor

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356