ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

HP Comments to New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Draft

  • To: "gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: HP Comments to New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Draft
  • From: "Lipkina, Natasha (hp.com)" <natasha.lipkina@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:49:53 +0000

"Overall, HP believes that it is premature to proceed with the new TLD launch
at this time. ICANN has not provided an economic analysis examining the impact
of a widespread launch on Internet users, businesses, and the general economy,
and the drafted Guidebook leaves much of the launch process unexplained and
undeveloped. This, coupled with the lack of rights protections makes it unwise
to move forward with release of hundreds of new TLDs. If this launch is to move
forward, it must do so with a more detailed, well thought-out plan and at a
pace that allows for reevaluation and adaptation to problems that will
undoubtedly arise. While we are against the new TLD release as planned, we are
additionally concerned that ICANN has chosen to exclude 2 character TLDs from
the pool of possible domain name extensions.  We recognize that traditionally
two character TLDs are used to represent country codes, but since some ccTLDs
have abandoned this (.TV for example) coupled with the fact that  many two
character combinations currently do not correspond to a country, we believe
that available two character TLDs should be open to qualified parties."

 Best regards,

Natasha Lipkina
HP.com
Accessibility/Domain Naming Programs Manager
650-596-0752