ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

Comments on upcoming gTLD expansion

  • To: <gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on upcoming gTLD expansion
  • From: "David Daugherty" <David.Daugherty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:28:00 -0500

ICANN,

As someone responsible for the Internet domain management at my company,
I must say that I am 100% against this gTLD expansion for the following
reasons:

1.      It's not needed. Most corporations already own their .com. In
our case, we own www.citrix.com <http://www.citrix.com/>  and can build
www.citrix.com/WhateverWeNeed. We have no need for gTLDs beyond the ones
already available.

2.      It threatens everyone's brand integrity. In our case we already
have our hands full looking for competitors trying to register our brand
or product names with the current gTLDs. Now we have to worry about
countless additional gTLDs? This will do nothing but create confusion.
Where does someone looking for information on "Citrix XenApp" go? To
www.citrix.com/xenapp? To www.xenapp.citrix <http://www.xenapp.citrix/>
? To www.xenapp.citrix.software <http://www.xenapp.citrix.software/> ?
To www.xenapp.software <http://www.xenapp.software/> ? And which of
these sites is legitimate? Leading me to my next point...

3.      It opens the gates for malicious use. What if a hacker registers
citrix.software and uses it to phish our customers (or potential
customers)? Do we need to buy several domains that we don't want for
defensive purposes? Again, we already have our hands full doing that
today for the current gTLDs.

4.      It is way too costly. It will cost us over $100K just to apply
for the gTLD, ".citrix"? In addition, we must consider the cost to
manage this domain? ...a domain that we don't even want - we just don't
want anyone else buying? Considering today's global economic times, this
proposed gTLD expansion is grossly irresponsible.

Please forgive my bluntness, but I see this as nothing but a method to
increase revenue for the Internet domain registration industry (for both
ICANN and the countless registrars) at the expense of the corporate
world. Forcing us to buy something we don't want or need for fear of the
consequences is just wrong, in my opinion.

Thank you for your consideration.

David Daugherty

Web Marketing Manager

Citrix Systems, Inc.

851 West Cypress Creek Road

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309 USA

Phone: 954.267.8459

Fax: 954.267.2525

david.daugherty@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.daugherty@xxxxxxxxxx>

This e-mail message and all documents that accompany it may contain
privileged or confidential information, and are intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which addressed. Any unauthorized
disclosure or distribution of this e-mail message is prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail message in error, please notify me
immediately. Thank you.

www.citrix.com <http://www.citrix.com/>
(c) Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: CTXS)