ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-intro]

Cost consideration for the new gTLDs: where equity does not have a sense

  • To: <gtld-intro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Cost consideration for the new gTLDs: where equity does not have a sense
  • From: yassin shazly <yassin_shazly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:59:17 +0000

During the Cairo meeting, we listened to a very long and interesting debate
regarding equity contribution between new gTLDs candidates and their homologue
for multilingual IDNS. I guess the same question can be also asked within the
new gTLDs candidates themselves. For example, a candidate for .CANCER or
.HEALTH, aiming to increase awareness for certain diseases, should pay the same
application fees as the candidate for .CAR or .PETROL, searching to prompt
industries. In other words, the fees amount, 185,000 USD, should be applied for
profit as well as non-profit applications? Are we in a position where one seize
can fit all? This is the question.
In order to give an answer, we must at first determine what is meant by equity?
As we all know, it is the same treatment for persons in similar positions and
different treatment for those in non similar position. So the key answer is to
know whether or not profit non-profit candidates are in the same position.
Several criteria’s can guide us in this regard.
The public aimed: someone can advance that the fact the a TLD does not aim in
all cases an international or large public; it must be exempted from fees. So
the smaller target you have the lower fess you should pay. This remark can be
only made for certain ccTLDs that are attributed in order to serve for local
communities. But, we have already seen ccTLD, like .TV, that is used by the
international community for television and communication profession wider than
the RFC determine. On the same note, we have seen already gTLDS, like .AERO,
that serve for a small community. So this criteria is really superficial as
some CC are acting as G and the inverse is correct.
The registration policy: other can argue that registration policy can be
valuable criteria that differentiate between CC and G. as far are we know, CC
have the reputation to be closed zones where the rule “first come, first
served” is subordinated to the verification of the holder right. Actually, this
is no longer true, as many CC are open zones where the required name can be
registered without need to proof a legal right, trademark, on this name. On
parallel, certain gTLDs have strict registration policy, as for example .NAME.
The commercial dimension: It is true also that many CC have very low
registration rate and therefore do not charge registration. But that is not the
case in developing countries where the use of Internet is a social phenomenon.
Furthermore, a non-profit applicant for a new gTLDS is not in the same shoes of
a CC who has the mission to service his national community. A ccTLD is the
property of the county that can decide to charge it or not.
It is true that a new GTLD can serve for cultural and identical bases, like
.AFRICA, .MED for Mediterranean countries.  In this case, is there a mandate to
serve interest of certain community? Does registration would be charged or not?
And if not, what if the string is not charged at the beginning and after
several years the situation changes and the zone become exploited on commercial
aspect?
Frankly speaking, I don’t think that the question of the application fees with
new gTLDs candidates must be resolved in terms of equity, but rather in
politics. Does the DNS play a role on the cultural diversity? If yes, what is
the ICANN’s legitimacy, regarding the Bylaws and the international community,
to take such actions? Why the new gTLDs are created; to increase the fanatical
value or to play other role?
I guess identifying our goals and our role must be redefined in order to take
into account the impact of different communities’ needs and the increasing
effect of Internet governance? If the introduction of multilingualism and IDNs
satisfied certain the countries demand, the GTLD is considered to be on
commercial bases to satisfy business. So each new politics must conserve it’s
identity.
Thanks, Yassin el shazly,
http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx