ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-intro]

Comments on Module One of New gTLD Applicant Guidebook

  • To: gtld-intro@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Module One of New gTLD Applicant Guidebook
  • From: Naveed ul Haq <naveed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:51:10 +0500

<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"
to appreciate the efforts of ICANN for promoting public participation by means
of public meetings and online resources. I was part of the recent 33rd Public
Meeting through ICANN's fellowship programme. This was my first ICANN meeting
and it really has boosted my professional knowledge. Moreover, this meeting has
given me an opportunity to discuss and share ICANN processes with my local
Internet and general community. I would like to submit my comments on
sub-module 1.5 of module 1 which covers the "Fee and Payments" details for new
numbers of new gTLDs will provide an immense opportunity to every stakeholder
and community around the world for establishing an <span style="font-weight:
bold;">"Internet Presence". &nbsp; </span>However, the primary vision of ICANN
i.e " to promote competition in the domain-name market and provide more
innovation and change to the Internet's addressing system" may get harmed by
185,000 USD evaluation fee. <br>&nbsp; &nbsp; <br>&nbsp;&nbsp; Internet usage
and awareness is increasing in under-developed and developing countries,
businesses are initiating online communication and users are more interested in
online solutions. Paying 185,000 USD as an application evaluation fee may not
be possible for a very large number of businesses and communities living in
under-developed and developing countries. <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to
suggest that ICANN may divide the evaluation fee criteria on the basis of
developed, under-developed and developing countries especially in context with
a community-based gTLD. This would not only encourage more participation for
new gTLDs but will also improve the end-user confidence in ICANN's regarding
promoting Internet resources.