ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-transition]

pricing

  • To: gtld-transition@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: pricing
  • From: eedlee <eedlee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:11:31 -0800 (PST)

I have severe objections to tiered pricing in domains. As it is this has proven
to be a losing cause for most registrars who have tried it, but more
importantly all of us who register and use domains need to have pricing
controlled by domainers. Not only do I not trust registrars to stay out of
trouble, but I don't trust Icann to enforce anything reasonably. Why should
Tucows have the right to resell drops at any price it chooses? Why wouldn't
NakedLunch now be worth a $5,000 annual fee because it has two premium words
and one of them is pornographic? Who can argue with arbitrary numbers?

No, leave existing domains as they are. Let every new gTld determine their own
pricing but let's not make a mess out of coms, nets and orgs for goodness sake.