ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-transition]

lack of pricing caps

  • To: <gtld-transition@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: lack of pricing caps
  • From: "Philip Gusterson" <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 00:08:55 +0300

Dear Sir,

I am writing to express concern on pricing at the .com and .net registries.

Specifically, I ask that ICANN does everything it can to prevent registries
from monopolistic pricing of URLs.

As a registrant I ask ICANN to prevent Verisign opening pricing discussions
related to the .com and .net registries.

Variable pricing for domains that are already registered would be a very
problematic situation. The domain "google.com" was meaningless and of
limited value until just a few years ago - it would be quite unjustified for
a registry to now seek to share in the domain name value that has been
created by the business.

Regards,

Philip Gusterson