ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Comment re: Possible Process Options for Further Consideration of the ICM Application for the .XXX sTLD

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment re: Possible Process Options for Further Consideration of the ICM Application for the .XXX sTLD
  • From: Steve Goldstein <steve.goldstein@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:17:35 -0400

I comment as a former ICANN Board member who voted in Lisbon against awarding
the .xxx sTLD to ICM.  My decision to vote "no" at the time was premised on
advice given to ICANN that, were ICM to fail to police the .xxx sTLD to keep
out child pornography, ICANN would have to step in and ensure that adequate
protections were being applied.  Doing so would then impel ICANN into the role
of a regulator instead of its proper role of a coordinator of the Domain Name
System.

Given that ICANN regularly enforces compliance among the Registrar community, I
am not persuaded that it does not already act as a regulator of sorts.  But,
apart from any hairsplitting over definitions, I believe that the posted
document, "ICANN Options Following the IRP Declaration on ICM’s .XXX
Application," befogs the key issue with dilatory procedural steps and thereby
incurs unnecessary and potentially embarrassing delay.

What is at stake here, plainly and simply, is whether or not ICANN will adhere
to the accountability framework that it had set up for itself.  Prior to the
then-Board's vote in Lisbon in 2007, ICANN had already determined that ICM's
application for .xxx met all the basic criteria as well as all the special
contract conditions that ICANN had imposed on the applicant.  The Independent
Review Panel, chosen in accordance with the accountability procedures that
ICANN itself had set up, found in the majority against ICANN.  So, what is left
to determine fairly and objectively?  It's really time to walk the talk, ICANN.

Very respectfully,

--SteveG