ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Please do NOT vote to enable the XXX domain

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please do NOT vote to enable the XXX domain
  • From: Victoria French <victoria.french@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:45:48 -0500

Hello,

I am not exactly sure where to post comments about the XXX domain. Our industry
(the adult) keeps getting press releases that there is a public forum open, but
there is never any information as to where this forum is. So I am sending to to
the only address I have found.

I ask as a member of the adult industry to not allow the XXX TLD be passed for
the following reasons:

1. This is a clear attempt by the requesting registrar to force the entire
adult industry to purchase domains through them to protect our intellectual
property rights. Requiring us all to purchase yet another TLD version of our
names is outrageous.

2. The requesting registrar continually makes statements that our industry
supports them, when we do not. They are claiming their basis on the number of
pre-registrations. The fact is that we as a majority DO NOT support this and
are only pre-registering out of fear of losing our names to others.

3. The requesting registrar claims that it will only allow the purchase of XXX
domains if THEY IN THEIR SOLE DISCRETION decide the purchasing company is in
the adult entertainment industry. This company has not affiliation with us and
has no authority or ability to actually know who is a legit company (by legit I
mean members of FSC, AVN and XBIZ) and who are pirate sites, not to mention
they have no understanding how our Affiliate Network sites operate.

4. The requesting registrar claims that it will require us to support an "Adult
Trade Group" that again has no affiliations with us. The official group we as
an industry work with is ASACP.org which is also the group that is our liaison
between us and congress. We have no need to support an organization that has
had nothing to do with our industry and which we believe is actually owned by
the registrar itself.

5. The requesting registrar requires us to label our sites under their rules
and on every page. The labeling of our sites is not up for debate. We have very
stringent laws required by the US Government under USC 2257 and the registrar
does not have the ability to change those rules. Under USC 2257 it is illegal
to add any additional information to the labeling of a site than what is stated
in the law. Further, not every adult company has nudity displayed on their
sites. Many of our corporate sites are normal corporate looking websites
designed for B2B, there is no need for labeling for these sites. Under the
registrars plans labeling would be required meaning our sites could not get
through business blocking filters. If we chose not to do this, we risk our
corporate names being taken by poachers or others.

In every way this company's attempt to get the XXX TLD on the market is nothing
more than an attack on our businesses. They want to control us under their
rules. This company has no ties to our industry and has no right to decide how
our businesses are run or even if we are a "business".

I urge you to talk with AVN, XBIZ and the FSC and find out the real truth
behind what our industry wants and don't rely on this scam artist.

Please vote NO on XXX.

Thank you for your time.

Victoria French
Metrosharp Corporation.

Parent company to X3 Pictures, Radeon Pictures, Baphomet Entertainment and
Fluffy D. Bunny Productions.