ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Halt Plans to Create .XXX domain

  • To: <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Halt Plans to Create .XXX domain
  • From: "Jill C. Manning" <jillcmanning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 21:33:40 +0000

I am writing to vigorously protest the possible development
of a .xxx domain on the Internet.  As a
researcher and family therapist, I know this potential expansion will enable
the spread of obscene materials to be distributed and that the social costs of
this are extremely negative.  The
pornography industry will profit handsomely from this domain, but individuals,
marriages, families and corporations will continue to suffer from the unbridled
spread of sexually explicit material (divorce, addiction, lost productivity,
false information about sexuality, hate speech, etc).

Please halt any plans to create the xxx domain, and instead
consider the restructuring port technology that groups like CP80.org have
proposed.

We need an Internet that provides choice within legal realms, and which also
upholds the standards of decency most societies uphold in the public
square.  The virtual square needs to be a
safe and legal arena for the public at large to use.

Sincerely,

Jill C. Manning, Ph.D., LMFT

Denver, CO, USA