ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

ICM-options-report

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICM-options-report
  • From: Jonathan Stanton <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:33:05 +0100

To whom it may concern,
RE: ICM-options-report
I would like to express my preference in favour of allowing the sTLD .XXX
for the following reasons:
Where it will not reduce the number of sites on the internet that contain
adult material it will make it easier for administrators and responsible
parents to filter these sites out from their home computers and protect
those in their charge.
 From reading a number of the emails already submitted as part of this
process I get the impression that some people have the idea that should
ICANN decide against this application then all the pornography will be
removed off the internet, which as you know is not the case.  While it is
also true that the creation of the TLD will not guarantee the remove this
content from existing registered domains, the reason webmasters and content
providers would want these domain names is so that they will want people to
find their website and so they will make money.
I also get the impression from reading the majority of the emails that have
been submitted, normally one or two liners that they have been asked by
their Rabbi, Priest, Minister, Elder etc. to email against this application
and probably did not know about this issue before being asked to voice an
opinion against it.
Patrick A. Trueman has submitted an eloquent email against the application,
but please bear in mind that the internet is a far bigger place than the
boundaries of the United States of America.  Other countries have different
laws and just because certain website might be illegal in the US do not mean
that they are illegal elsewhere.  I would personally like to thank him and
others in law enforcement worldwide, for his many years in helping protect
our children from paedophiles.
I do not think that there is a single one size fits all solution that will
work worldwide but allowing the XXX TLD will allow these sites to expand
(and no matter what happens, they will expand) in to an area of the internet
that CAN be filtered out (either personally, by ISP or even the state).
This is not a debate on the rights or wrongs of pornography; this is whether
or not ICM should be allowed to progress with a legitimate and legal
business request to run a TLD under ICANNs terms and conditions.

Yours sincerely

Jonathan Stanton