ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

No On .XXX TLD

  • To: icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No On .XXX TLD
  • From: Alexa Smart <alexaland@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 19:32:56 -0700

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Mindy Nashif and I am the owner of the registered trademark .XXX® (United States Trademark Registration No. 3,778,825). I am also the creator of specialty crayons and crayon novelty products marketed under the “.XXX®” brand. In addition, I am in the process of creating a line of crayon party favors for bachelorette parties also to be marketed and sold under the .XXX® brand. I write to oppose the granting of a “.xxx” TLD by ICANN.

The use of crayons is a creative, fun and educational activity mostly enjoyed by children. I have always thought that it is unfortunate that teens and adults generally abandon their crayons and cease to enjoy the simple pleasures of crayon art. Because of this, I created .XXX® Crayons in hope that a crayon product directed to a more mature audience through its packaging would prompt teens and adults to reconnect with crayon art. Thanks in large part to my creative brand name, it appears that my .XXX® -labeled crayon products does indeed perform that function.

Unfortunately, if a “.xxx” TLD is allowed by ICANN, and domain name registrations bearing the “.xxx” TLD are granted in association with innumerable explicit hard-core sex sites (as would inevitably occur if ICANN allows the TLD), the value of my brand will be significantly damaged, if not destroyed. Please understand that my .XXX® crayon products are meant to attract adult attention while evoking the childhood innocence associated with crayon use. But if “.xxx” becomes ubiquitously associated with hard core sex-sites it is hardly likely that the public will associate “.xxx” with crayons, much less the childhood use of crayons.

Also, teens and children will always be a significant market for my .XXX® crayons and crayon novelty products. Because of this, the likely TLD association of my crayon brand name with what will likely be hundreds of thousands of hard core sex sites if ICANN allows the TLD, is particularly damaging to my brand as it applies to the child and teen market segment. While parents may purchase for their children, or allow them to use, .XXX® Crayons appreciating the mildly naughty implications, it is unlikely that many parents will do so if my brand appears to be directly associated with explicit hard core sex sites. Also, I shudder to think what would happen if children or teens hoping to find a site selling my crayons type into their Internet browser something like “buy.xxx”.

Thus, if a “.xxx” TLD is allowed by ICANN it is virtually inevitable that my trademark would be tarnished, devalued and virtually destroyed. Because of this, I strongly oppose ICANN’s allowing a “.xxx” TLD and respectfully ask that you do not grant the applicant’s petition for a “.xxx” TLD.

Sincerely,
Mindy Nashif