ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-cctld-fast-track]

Re: [At-Large] Draft comments on Initial report of IDNC WG

  • To: At-Large writ small <alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [At-Large] Draft comments on Initial report of IDNC WG
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:09:34 -0800

Wendy and all my friends,

  I also found the page/link difficult to read for the same reasons
which gives me some pause regarding technical efficacy.

  Our members positions regarding the addition of IDN's for
ccTLD's has as a matter of policy, already been articulated.

  Our concerns as to the technical issues in the implementation
are centered around the IDNA protocol being one that is
in the application layer is doable but not advisable for a number
of reasons.  The most important are regarding the security
holes available for miscreants to take advantage of, and will
in short order, exposing users unnecessarily and the negative
impact on the DNS respectively.  Using secure code technique,
which is not the case now, and depending on MS browser
interface due to the application layer will exclude some users
especially those in some EU states from use as well as exposing
those users that use MS browser) exposure to API security
holes leaving them very vulnerable to miscreants and hacking
criminals which will often times result in significant financial
or personal damage.

  A better broad approach would to do the protocol at the server
level using secure code technique that is not browser dependent.

Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> Thanks Hong,
>
> Since I found that page very difficult to read (in part because it
> scrolled horizontally), I include the recent changes here:
>
> "
> Public Comments Requested on Initial Draft Fast-Track Mechanism for
> Introduction of a Limited Number of IDN ccTLDs"
> <http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-01feb08.htm>
>
> _Draft Comments on Initial Draft Fast-Track Mechanism for Introduction
> of IDN ccTLDs (22/02/08)_
>
> Individual user community believes the draft initial report be a
> positive step to move ahead on fast-track introduction of the IDN
> ccTLDs. For purpose of avoidance of public confusion and protection of
> individual users in specific language communities, we hope the Initial
> Report would consider the following suggestions.
>
> In the Section 3(B)(i) of the Initial Report, "Apart from the
> overarching requirements to meet the IDNA protocols and any other IDN
> technical requirements, are there any criteria for a string to be
> acceptable under the fast track (for example that the string must be a
> meaningful representation of the name of the Territory or an
> abbreviation of the name of the Territory in the relevant script)?
>
> **We suggest the IDN guidelines be specfically supplemented into the
> requirements for selection of the IDN strings. Character tabling is very
> important to prevent the equivalent character variants of the same or
> different scripts from co-existing in the registration. A
> well-documented and publicly available character table shall be the
> prerequisite for introduction of an IDN TLD relevant to that character set.
>
> ***With respect to selection of IDN ccTLD managers under the Section 4
> of the Initial Report, we hope that a manager have the language capacity
> of providing the services per the script of an IDN ccTLD.
> "
>
> Is there a brief reference you can recommend on "character tabling"?
>
> Thanks,
> --Wendy
>
> Hong Xue wrote:
> > Given the deadline for commeting on the Initial Report, I've drafted
> > the statement. The idn-wg list is not working so I posted on wiki at
> > https://st.icann.org/idn-policy/index.cgi?at_large_idn_policy. Welcome
> > to comment or revise and let me know if we would like submit it before
> > Feb. 24.
> >
> > Hong
> >
> --
> Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Visiting Professor, Northeastern University School of Law
> Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html
> http://www.chillingeffects.org/
> https://www.torproject.org/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx