ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-cctld-fast-track]

comments on initial report

  • To: idn-cctld-fast-track@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: comments on initial report
  • From: "Hong Xue" <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:02:51 +0800

Comments on the Initial Report from Hong Xue and Cheryl Langdon-Orr,
the ALAC Liaisons to the CCNSO IDNC WG

We believes the draft initial report be a positive step to move ahead
on fast-track introduction of the IDN ccTLDs. For purpose of avoidance
of public confusion and protection of individual users in specific
language communities, we hope the Initial Report would consider the
following suggestions.

**We suggest the IDN guidelines be specfically supplemented into the
requirements for selection of the IDN strings as listed in the Section
3(B)(i) of the Initial Report. Character tabling is very important to
prevent the equivalent character variants of the same or different
scripts from co-existing in the registration. A well-documented and
publicly available character table shall be the prerequisite for
introduction of an IDN TLD relevant to that character set.

***With respect to selection of IDN ccTLD managers under the Section 4
of the Initial Report, we hope that a manager have the sufficient
language capacity of providing the services per the script of an IDN
ccTLD.

Hong & Cheryl