ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-guidelines]

Comments on Draft Revised IDN Guidelines

  • To: <idn-guidelines@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on Draft Revised IDN Guidelines
  • From: Anne-Marie Eklund-Löwinder <Anne-Marie.Eklund-Lowinder@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:22:42 +0200

Dear sirs,

Since you put the deadline late Sunday evening I assume it will be all right to
send our comments to you early Monday morning,
since it is working.

NIC-SE (adminstrating the Swedish top level domain on behalf of the Foundation
for Internet Infrastructure), wishes to express its
appreciation of the initiative and effort behind the current revision of the
IDN guidelines and looks forward to their futher
development. As an IDN registry, NIC-SE is aware of the complexity of the
issues relating to the internationalization of the domain
name space. The guidelines provide a useful basis for the further development
of our own IDN policies and we are pleased to note
that we can implement and support the guidelines as they are currently stated.

There is one extension to the guidelines that we believe requires particular
attention in the short term. The value of the active
area of the IANA Registry for IDN Language Tables would be strongly enhanced if
it clearly differentiated between language tables
contributed by registries that conduct their primary business in the languages
they are describing, and tables contributed by
registries that have collected information about a language's character
requirements from secondary sources. We realize that the
introductory text in each table is usually clear in indicating this
distinction. However, as the registry grows it risks becoming a
new source of confusion to users who may not understand the differences between
two tables nominally describing the same language
but including different arrays of characters.

We also feel that provision needs to be made for script-based character tables,
and for tables that describe language groups. Both
follow directly from the current wording of the guidelines but the IANA
registry has yet to be put to corresponding use.

NIC-SE is preparing two contributions to the IANA registry. We wish to share
our particular understanding of the requirements of
the Swedish language with other registries wishing to support it. We are also
developing a unified table describing all of the
legally recognized minority languages in Sweden. Although this may not be
directly useful to any other registry, it may provide a
basic model for aggregated language tables.

Regards,

Anne-Marie Eklund Löwinder
Manager Security & Strategic Development
NIC-SE
Box 5774
114 87 Stockholm
+46 8 4523517