ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[info-tld-agreement]

Opposed To Variable Pricing

  • To: <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposed To Variable Pricing
  • From: "H.L. Reddick" <hlreddick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:05:51 -0400

Dear ICANN representatives:

It has recently come to my attention that a proposal exists to permit
variable pricing of internet domain name registration and I would like to
take this opportunity to voice my concerns over such a radical alteration of
a policy that has served effectively, and fairly, for many years.

As a technology consultant I have enjoyed the privilege of working with many
smaller organizations which might not have been able to function under a
system such as the currently proposed variable pricing structure.  For this
reason I strongly oppose any variable pricing scheme that might serve in
further corporatization of the internet and violate the principles upon
which our current digital communications system was founded.

Permitting a variable pricing structure of domain registration only serves
to undermine the control and value of the internet to both the individual
user and small organization by creating the potential for effortless
stratification of the system by interests possessing vast financial
resources.  Additionally, the potential financial burdens that could be
placed on small growing business and organizations could be
counterproductive, if not catastrophic.

I urge the architects of this proposal to abandon any idea of such poorly
conceived concept and I would ask that the directorship of your organization
take upon themselves the responsibility of scrutinizing the agenda of the
architects, with a strong emphasis on the personal financial motivations
which have driven them to such poor and questionable decisions.

Sincerely,

H. L. Reddick