ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[info-tld-agreement]

I strongly OPPOSE these changes, regarding the new Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements.

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I strongly OPPOSE these changes, regarding the new Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements.
  • From: "Nic Mason" <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:53:17 +1000

Dear ICANN,

I strongly oppose these changes!

Regarding the new Proposed .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG gTLD Registry Agreements:
http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-2-28jul06.htm

They will put me and more than 99% of web businesses OUT of business almost
immediately!

Please read the following articles and STOP these changes from occurring.

  http://lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=JH264060B

  Network Solutions CEO Champ Mitchell said that the .com deal "shocks the
conscience." These new contracts are infinitely worse, and create dangerous new
precedents.

Frank Schilling has written about the consequences of these very near-sighted
changes.  I have attached a copy of his analysis below this letter.

http://forum.icann.org/lists/biz-tld-agreement/msg00005.html

Do not allow these changes to go ahead!  You will destroy my livelihood,  and
that of millions of other businesses.

Regards,

Nic Mason

0425 708 094

PO Box 123 Yarraville VIC 3013 Australia

Contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx

_________________

www.NicMason.com
_________________

  http://forum.icann.org/lists/biz-tld-agreement/msg00005.html

  The combination of "presumptive renewal" and the "lifting of price controls
on
  registry services" is incredibly dangerous.

  Imagine buying a home, taking on a large mortgage, remodeling, moving in,
only
  to be informed 6 months later that your property taxes will go up 10,000%
with
  no better services offered by local government.  The government doesn't care
if
  you can't pay your tax/mortgage because they don't really want you to pay
your
  tax...  they want you to abandon your home so they can take your property and
  resell it to a higher payer for more money, pocketing the difference
  themselves, leaving you with nothing.

  This agreement as written leaves the door open to exactly that type of
  scenario. Domain registrants accustomed to paying $8 or $10 may suddenly be
  faced with a bill for $500.00 per name year or more because their name is
  desired by more than one party. Profitable sites such as Google.biz could get
  renewal bills of $100,000 per year.. or 1 million per year.  The registry
  doesn't care -- if the registrant fails to renew the name they can offer a
  domain parking service to monetize latent traffic from the former
registrant's
  activity.

  A registry changing the rules in the sandbox, usurping the rights of the
  registrants it was meant to serve, creating fiefdoms in the name of profit
for
  the registry operator..  The scenarios just described are wide open for
  implementation if this agreement passes unchanged.

  It is troubling that in 2006 ICANN still consistently fails to take into
  account the mercantilist instincts of its for-profit registry partners. This
  agreement should never have made it to this comment phase as written.
ICANN's
  time horizon is much shorter sighted than the registry operator. It is
  profoundly troubling that no-one at ICANN has thought to build the simplest
of
  safeguards to protect small business people and end users from the wholesale
  change in pricing structure, left open in these agreements.

  I urge ICANN to reject this agreement as written, to modify the salient
points
  relating to price control in order to provide certainty and assurance for the
  registrants of this name-space.

  Registry operators would be well served to model the successful registries.
  The largest most thriving name-spaces are those with consistent, predictable
  and moderate pricing. Where registrants of all kinds can grow their
businesses
  without the heavy-hand of intervention or price manipulation.  Namespaces are
  remarkably similar to "countries" in that those that foster low taxes,
liberty
  and opportunity for all, are those that attract the best, brightest; and
  ultimately thrive to the envy of others.

  Sincerely,

  Frank Schilling.