ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Urgent Feedback on Trademark Protection in IRT Report

  • To: irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Urgent Feedback on Trademark Protection in IRT Report
  • From: Geordie Carswell <gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:27:08 -0700

To Whom it May Concern,

I make my living as an independent web publisher, but sadly cannot afford a lobby group to argue the case against the Rapid Suspension System proposal for Trademark holders.

All I can hope is that my comment and feedback will receive a fair ear, by impartial policy makers...

One of my sites provides exposes on shady practices on the part of large corporations. This type of content requires 'naming names' and has long been a "trademark infringement' target by large companies with deeper legal pockets than I have. As hard as it may be to believe, bullying and suppression on the part of large trademark holders is more common place than they would like to admit. It also requires the use of pay per click marketing to drive attention to a particular issue, often through the use of setting up smaller sites that specifically mention the company or trademark name in the domain.

As in my case, there are legitimate reasons for the use of trademarks on 3rd party websites. The Rapid Suspension System will clearly be easily used by trademark holders to carefully and quietly crush the efforts of individual whistleblowers who come forward with information the public needs to be aware of.

I ask you to carefully consider the fact that there are more appropriate reasons to use trademarks than deceptive purposes, even in domain names. This policy change however will open up small independent web publishers to arbitrary abuse by companies we are constantly fighting to get the word out about poor business practices and, in some cases, environmental abuses.

Sincerely,

Geordie Carswell
Diversion Marketing Inc.
250-588-8318