ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[irt-final-report]

Post ICANN 35 - Some Final Comments on IRT

  • To: "irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx" <irt-final-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Post ICANN 35 - Some Final Comments on IRT
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 13:33:52 +0100

During the public meeting in Sydney I was able to see presentations from the
IRT as well as to hear other people's opinions.

I would like to voice my support for Patrick Vande Walle's comments (
http://forum.icann.org/lists/irt-final-report/msg00086.html ) with regard to
privacy, whois and other matters. I won't repeat what I've already said on
these points, as I'm on the record several times already.

Whether I approve of URS or not I cannot honestly support a proposal that:
- ignores non-web traffic (IRT members kept referring to websites during their
presentations in Sydney)
- relies on email ONLY for sending notifications

IF ICANN insist on implementing the URS then I would back Elliot Noss'
comments, however I do not like the concept of the URS in its current form, as
I see it being open to abuse at many levels and also feel that it will favour
larger brand owners.

The concept of "fair use" needs to be protected and in many respects I feel
that the current IRT report does little to protect it.

The GPML is, as I've already stated, a very bad idea and goes against the IRT's
own scope, as it would effectively grant *some* trademark holders more rights
than they currently have. It should, therefore, be scrapped.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon