ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig]

RE: [jig] GNSO Council resolutions 12 December 2013

  • To: "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, "''jig''" <jig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [jig] GNSO Council resolutions 12 December 2013
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:28:32 +0800

It would be great if anyone interested from the ISPCP can join this group.
Please send them here or ask them to send me or Young-Eum an email to have
them added.  While we are sort of in possible wind-down mode, we are tasked
to come up with next steps to report back to the 2 councils by Singapore
ICANN meetings.  So I am hoping that we could reconvene and discuss those
next steps between now and Singapore (probably starting after the holidays).
Edmon

Doria
> Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 5:32 AM
> To: ''jig''
> Subject: Re: [jig] GNSO Council resolutions 12 December 2013
>

> Hi,
>
> I spoke in the meeting of how more people needed to get involved from
> the GNSO if we thought that JIG should do more work because we had not
> carried much of the load of late.
>
> There was decided interest from the ISPCP Constituency in some of the
> issues.
>
> avri
> On 13-Dec-13 15:05, Edmon Chung wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Glen for the note.
> > Edmon

Glen
> > de
> >> Saint Géry
> >> Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:02 AM
> >> To: 'jig' (jig@xxxxxxxxx)
> >> Subject: [jig] GNSO Council resolutions 12 December 2013
> >>

> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> FYI
> >> The GNSO Council resolved the following resolutions at its meeting on
> > Thursday
> >> 12 December 2013.
> >>
> >> 1. Motion to adopt the Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG) Final
> > Report
> >> on Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs
> >>
> >> WHEREAS,
> >>
> >> 1. The JIG (Joint ccNSO/GNSO IDN Working Group) was formed by mutual
> >> charters between the ccNSO and GNSO councils, and extended (ccNSO:
> >> http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/minutes-council-23aug11-en.pdf |
> > GNSO:
> >> http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#201107) to complete its work on the
3
> > identified
> >> issues of common interest between the ccNSO and GNSO; 2. One of those
> >> issues concerns Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs; 3. The JIG published
its
> >> Draft Final Report on Universal Acceptance of IDN TLDs for public
comment
> >> which closed on 16 August 2013, http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-
> >> comment/idn-tld-acceptance-final-25jun13-en.htm)
> >> 4. The JIG reviewed the comments received and finalized its report
> > accordingly.
> >> 5. The JIG submitted its Final Report to the GNSO Council on 17
November

(http://buenosaires48.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-jig/presentation-jig-final-i
> > dn-tld-
> >> acceptance-15nov13-en)
> >> 6. The GNSO Council reviewed and considered the Final Report.
> >>
> >> Resolved,
> >> 1. The GNSO Council adopts the JIG Final Report on Universal Acceptance
of
> >> IDN TLDs and its recommendations and will submit it to the ICANN Board
for
> > its
> >> consideration.
> >>       2.        The GNSO Council thanks the JIG for its work, with
special
> > thanks to
> >> Jothan Frakes for his contributions in proactively reaching beyond the
> > ICANN
> >> community to address issues identified in the report.
> >>       3.       The GNSO Council recognizes that further work needs to
be
> > done in
> >> relation to IDNs, in particular IDN variants and universal acceptance
of
> > IDNs and
> >> asks the JIG to put forward suggestions on how to deal with these
issues
> > and
> >> deliver these suggestions to the GNSO Council by the ICANN Singapore
> >> Meetings in March 2014.
> >>

> >> 2. Motion to adopt the Final Report of the  joint DNS stability and
> > security analysis
> >> Working Group (DSSA)
> >>
> >> Whereas
> >>
> >> 1.         The joint DNS Security and Stability Analysis working group
was
> >> established by the participating Supporting Organizations and Advisory
> >> Committees ALAC, ccNSO, GNSO and NRO to better understand the security
> >> and stability of the global domain name system (DNS) in 2011.
> >>
> >> 2.         In October 2011 the ICANN Board of Directors established the
> > Board
> >> DNS Risk Management Framework Working Group (DNS RMF WG), with the
> >> objective to oversee the
> >> development of a risk management framework and system for the DNS as it
> >> pertains to ICANN's role as defined in the ICANN Bylaws.
> >>
> >> 3.         At the time the DSSA published its draft Report Phase 1
(August
> > 2012),
> >> the DSSA went into hibernation to avoid overlap with the work of the
Board
> > DNS
> >> RMF and noted and
> >> informed the participating SO's and AC's that in order to reflect the
> > changed
> >> environment and working method, the charter of the DSSA would need to
be
> >> updated to reflect these changes.
> >>
> >> 4.         The co-chairs of the DSSA WG have sent a letter
> >> (http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/dssa-to-so-ac-chairs-09nov13-
> > en.pdf)
> >> to the chairs of each of the participating stakeholder organizations to
> > submit the
> >> Final Report and the work products contained in it
> >> (available at:
> > http://ccnso.icann.org/workinggroups/dssa-final-08nov13-en.pdf).
> >> This letter outlines the reasons the co-chairs recommend not proceeding
> > with
> >> phase 2.
> >>
> >> 5.         The DSSA recommends the acceptance of the Final Report and
> > further
> >> recommends that the Final Report be disseminated to registry operators
and
> >> registrars for their consideration.
> >>
> >> 6.         Upon adoption of the Final report of the DSSA, and
notification
> > of
> >> adoption to the co-chairs of the DSSA, the working group will be
closed.

> >> Resolved
> >>
> >> 1.         The GNSO Council adopts the Report submitted by the
co-chairs
> > of the
> >> DSSA WG, as the Final Report of the DSSA WG in accordance with section
2.4
> >> of its charter.
> >>
> >> 2.         The chair of the GNSO Council is requested to inform the
> > co-chairs of the
> >> DSSA WG of adoption of the Report by the GNSO Council.
> >>
> >> 3.         The chair of GNSO Council is also requested to inform the
> > chairs of the
> >> other participating SO's and AC's (SSAC, ALAC, ccNSO and NRO).
> >>
> >> 4.         Finally, the GNSO Council thanks and congratulates all, and
in
> > particular
> >> the co-chairs of the WG:
> >> Olivier Crepin- LeBlond (ALAC), Joerg Schweiger (.DE, ccNSO), Mikey
> > O'Connor
> >> (GNSO), James Galvin (SSAC) and Mark Kosters (NRO) and all volunteers
and
> >> staff who helped with this effort.
> >>
> >> Please let me know if you have any questions.
> >> Thank you.
> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >> Glen
> >> Glen de Saint Géry