ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

New Rights Protections To .net

• To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New Rights Protections To .net
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:08:22 -0400

To Whom It May Concern,

It has come to my attention through articles posted by Domain Name Wire and BoingBoing -

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/05/10/urgent-now-intellectual-property-group-wants-to-apply-new-rights-protections-to-net/

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/10/urgent-intellectual.html

- that the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) is seeking to "retroactively apply new and untested rights protections to .net - one of the original top level domain names" - making the domains subject to suspension on copyright complaints and that anonymous and privacy- shielded .net domains should be abolished.

I cannot begin to describe how backwards and anti-internet and anti- democratic such a proposal is. To ask Versign, in their role managing the .net top-level domain, to act as private copyright cops is absurd. To insist that domains be suspended merely upon a "complaint" of copyright is not only equally absurd it flies in the face of constitutional law. It is apparent that a lobby of multi-national media corporations are attempting to further their own limited goals at the expense of rational copyright reform, freedom of speech and the rule of law. This must not be allowed to happen.

Myself and many others trust that ICANN will not allow these provisions to be put into effect and will instead state plainly and publicly that such provisions are unwarranted intrusion upon the freedoms of individuals, companies and countries who live and work within this extension of our collective nervous system known as The Internet. In short - tell the IPC to take a hike. Do the right thing.

Thank you.

Robert Mills
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and so on

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy