ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Regarding the IPC comments on .NET renewal

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Regarding the IPC comments on .NET renewal
  • From: David Berner <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:40:02 -0400

I'm an individual and owner of a small number of .net addresses.

The IPC's proposed changes to the .NET contract would adversely affect me as
an individual domain owner, and I am registering my opposition to them.

First, the Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) process makes all domain owners
vulnerable to suspension due to erroneous or bad-faith requests with limited
time or avenues for recourse.  This change would encourage bulk processing
of such requests which would make errors and fraudulent requests all the
more prevalent and difficult to rectify.  This change favors large
organizations, which have resources to dedicate to domain asset management,
over small organizations and individuals.

Secondly, abolishing private registration would require me to publish my
full home address and telephone in the public whois database, with obvious
privacy and safety implications.  This change affects individuals
disproportionately, who would be required to divulge personal contact
information for their domain registrants ands contacts.

Finally, applying such radical changes retroactively to existing domains is
absurd.

I hope ICANN will reject this proposal.

Thank you,

David Berner