ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

In re a new .NET contract

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: In re a new .NET contract
  • From: Greg <greg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:42:05 -0400

To whom it may concern;

I have reviewed the IPC's misguided and distasteful request that any new contract with VeriSign to manage the .NET domain require that a uniform rapid suspension (URS) system be made available.

The requirements proposed by the IPC are nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at circumventing the due process guarantees for all parties that are contained in existing laws and procedures governing lawsuits. My legal rights and protections as a long-time owner of numerous domains would be severely curtailed or eliminated by a system which requires little or no notice, no actual proof of wrong-doing, let alone any charges actually being brought in any legal environment.

A basic, fundamental legal principle (and right) in my country is that one is innocent until proven guilty. The IPC proposal that one be guilty and stripped of their rights merely by a back-room whisper, rumor, gossip and or other underhanded skullduggery is reprehensible at best! The IPC proposal strips me of my rights to due process and would required that I must bear the full burden of proving myself innocent of any accusation or charge that may not even have ever been brought before any impartial judicial system

The proposed draconian suspension of access by mere innuendo would circumvent the existing legal system and protection of individual rights and cause irreparable damage to the value of my domains and my reputation, solely for the financial benefit of an elite group, the dues-paying members of the IPC

Please do _not_ require URS as part of any new .NET contract.

Thank you,

/s/Gregory Bridgewater