ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Re: Network Solutions comment on .NET Renewal Agreement

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Network Solutions comment on .NET Renewal Agreement
  • From: martin kellerman <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:16:24 +0800

I would like to express my agreement with Statton Hammock's comments.
Any price increases should need to be justified.

"Competitive economics holds that declining input costs (bandwidth,
computation power and capacity, etc.) and expanding economies of scale
should result in lower prices.  This theory also applies to markets with
sole-source providers.  Yet gTLD registration and renewal prices have
only risen over the years - and almost certainly will continue to rise,
without justification, under this proposed Agreement.  There might very
well be a sound basis for a registry to increase fees at a particular
time, and such an increase would be permitted with the appropriate
cost-justification language."