ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

Questions that need to be asked

  • To: net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Questions that need to be asked
  • From: "Joe R. Hruska" <jhruska@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:07:07 -0900 (AKST)

I have read with great interest the recent news coverage discussing the
.net bid as "the days of the internet being an American toy are well and
truly over" without focusing on the incredible technical aspects of TLD
control.   Instead of the geopolitical impact, I urge ICANN to pay careful
attention to the technical needs of the bidders.  Specifically, I hope
ICANN is making sure that the following questions are being asked of all
the prospective companies.

*  Can the applicant fully support IPv6 provisioning, resolution, and
transport?
*  Does the applicant have a comprehensive solution for implementing DNSSEC?
*  Will the applicant continue support of RGP, Consolidate and IRIS?
*  Has the operator demonstrated the ability for fail-over to a secondary
facility?
*  How long will it take each applicant to have all necessary systems
online?  Will the applicant transition "critical" systems in a timely
fashion but leave other important, but not critical systems, languishing?

I hope these and other issues will be taken into account when ICANN is
deciding the company that will manage the domain so many of us rely on.

Sincerely,

Joe Hruska
President/CTO - Integrity Solutions, Inc.