ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

.net evaluation

  • To: net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .net evaluation
  • From: Alan Levin <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:11:33 +0200

Considering in the second paragraph of the statement about "What is ICANN?" - as stated on their public website for many years - that, "As a private-public partnership, ICANN is dedicated to preserving the operational stability of the Internet; to promoting competition; to achieving broad representation of global Internet communities; and to developing policy appropriate to its mission through bottom-up, consensus-based processes."

We consider that the criteria given to Telcordia did not allow them to establish a balance between the issues mentioned here. It appears that from the outcome of the decision of the evaluators, the area of "operational stability of the Internet" has been overused and overweighted against the other areas of deidication: "promoting competition; to achieving broad representation of global Internet communities; and to developing policy appropriate to its mission through bottom-up, consensus-based processes".

We believe that the board should demonstrate its own words on the webste and as stated, and since we are aware that the "operational stability of the Internet" will not be significantly impacted by a change in the incumbant operator and that as such they should NOT support the decision of the evaluators to constrain competition and the continuation of narrow representation of Internet communities in the two largest tld's on the Internet.