ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-verisign]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

methods of measurements

• To: net-rfp-verisign@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: methods of measurements
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:39:25 +0100 (MET)

Dear all,

in section 2.5 Appendix D, Table D-2, Performance Specifications of VeriSigns .net application, VeriSign specifies 50 milliseconds as maximum for an add/create command and 25 milliseconds for a check command. Furthermore in the ICANN monthly reports (see e.g. http://www.icann.org/tlds/monthly-reports/com-net/verisign-200409.pdf, page 3) VeriSign reports 10 milliseconds as an average value for add/create and check commands.

In comparison to other applications for .net these values differ in at least on decimal power. (I do not want to discuss here whether such a race of milliseconds make sense to registrars or registrants and leave this discussion to the evaluators.)

On the other hand the registrar department of CORE has made a long term statistics over some month. Our results reports for VeriSign an average of 647 ms for add/create and 426 ms for a check command. This includes a round trip time of 90 ms. It was measured the time from sending the command until receiving an answer from the registry, not including the processing of the commands.

description                         add/create       check
   ----------------------------------  ----------  ----------
   proposed SLA by VeriSign                 50 ms       25 ms
   published ICANN monthly stats            10 ms       10 ms
   long term measurement by registrar      557 ms      336 ms

As I am involved in the CORE++ bid, I want to make it very clear that I do not try to denigrate or mistrust any other proposal. I take every applicant as reputable. But I have the fear that applicants use several methods of measurements and therefore such huge differences appear.

Perhaps VeriSign can disclose their methods and explain their numbers in more detail. I ask for VeriSign, because the other applicants have numbers in the same magnitude.

Best regards,
Elmar

--
                                        Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                        44227 Dortmund
                                        Germany
                                        Fon: +49 231 9703-0
     Elmar.Knipp@xxxxxxxx               Fax: +49 231 9703-200

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy