ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtld-applicant-support-handbook]

Comment on New gTLD Applicant Support Program: Financial Assistance

  • To: <new-gtld-applicant-support-handbook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on New gTLD Applicant Support Program: Financial Assistance
  • From: <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:55:23 -0500

The ICANN Board's commitment to ensuring accessibility to the new gTLD program
by needy applicants, particularly those working in the public interest in
developing countries, is both welcome and necessary. In addition, the work done
to shape and create a workable, fair and specific program of financial
assistance by the ICANN staff and community, in particular the JAS WG and the
At Large New gTLD WG, is very much appreciated.

The current proposals reflect the thoughtfulness and tremendous effort that
have gone into this very worthy program. Nonetheless, several concerns remain,
in particular those raised by the At Large New gTLD WG in its comments
concerning the use of the US$2m and the need for better, more comprehensive and
directed outreach.

On the US$2m, it is possible - particularly given that the number of deserving
applicants are unknown - that there may be more such deserving applicants
and/or many with severe financial needs than even the fairest and most
scrupulous attempt at equitable distribution might not be sufficient to provide
truly meaningful assistance. In this regard the JAS and At Large New gTLD WG's
suggestions as to seed funding should be further considered.

In addition, the At Large New gTLD WG's recommendation of a possible refund
procedure is worth considering. Additionally, given the possibility of being
disqualified from the new gTLD program altogether, certain applicants who do
not meet a less critical item in the list of the threshold criteria could be
given an opportunity by rhe SARP to "show cause" why they ought not to be
disqualified.

On outreach, there is a real need to develop contact points, better ground
level communcations and a deeper knowledge and understanding of the diversity
of needs and cultures, and the means of reaching different communities, in the
vast and diverse number of countries and non-homogenous cultures loosely
grouped into a generic category termed the "developing world". Time is of the
essence in this case, although this is a persistent issue in overall ICANN
outreach - members of the ICANN community with deep ties in and members from
develooing countries, such as those from At Large, the Non Commercial
Stakeholder Group and the JAS WG, can be of great assistance to ICANN.

The Board's actions and the Financial Assistance criteria, process and overall
program - are significant steps in the right direction after 2 years of
difficult challenges and hard work. The new gTLD website, including the online
Applicant Support Directory, are also good initiatives that I hope will be very
helpful, particularly to new entrants to the ICANN community.

Note: I offer these comments in my personal capacity, and not on behslf of my
employer or any group I am otherwise associated with, including the
Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group or as one of its Council representatives,
which I am currently.

Mary Wong