ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-comms-plan]

My comment in Thai on July 7 is showing up as ???, This is quite ironic since ICANN stated they wanted to create "Global Awareness"

  • To: new-gtlds-comms-plan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: My comment in Thai on July 7 is showing up as ???, This is quite ironic since ICANN stated they wanted to create "Global Awareness"
  • From: GV SINGH <gvsingh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 13:50:16 -0700

Hi there,

On July 7, 2001, I had commented in Thai and English about ICANN's Global
Awareness initiative on the new gTLDs program but the Thai portion showed up
as "?????" and not displaying Thai characters (unicode) properly. I had
emailed an enquiry about this issue but it has been 3 days and the issue
hasn't been fixed nor have I heard anything and tomorrow is the last day for
posting comments.  I hope ICANN is not just doing this for protocol only. I
also hope ICANN takes my comment seriously about expediting/fast track the
IDN TLD versions of exisiting gTLDs as they shouldn't need additional
communication period. This could be a very powerful way to help promote the
success of the new gTLD program.

 The lack of timely action on ICANN's part to expedite iGTLD launches appear
to me that ICANN really doesn't care much about the global audience and deem
this to be a non-priority. Some of us have already waited 10 years by using
half breed IDNs with the right of the DOT still being ASCII and this is
inhibiting commerce for the global audience.