ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-comms-plan]

ISOC HK Response to New gTLD Communications Plan

  • To: <new-gtlds-comms-plan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ISOC HK Response to New gTLD Communications Plan
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 06:45:41 +0800

ISOC HK welcomes the opportunity to provide feedback to the proposed New gTLD
Communications Plan.

First of all, we are curious how ICANN plans to identify suppliers to provide
the services identified in the Communications Plan, and are anxious that ICANN
not only favour multinational advertising agencies as suppliers.  Given the
global nature of the New gTLD program, and the limited resources for the
Communications Plan, we believe it may be the most effective approach to
leverage the ICANN community, including the network of ALSes, wherever
appropriate to better target and reach local Internet and business communities
around the world.

More specifically, we are not against the use of global advertising agencies,
however, we believe it would be money much better spent if part of the budget
is allocated to work with local organizations for targeted outreach to the
local business communities.

We would also like to take this opportunity to express our interest to support
the Global Awareness outreach efforts as a potential partner / supplier, and as
an ALS.  We believe ISOC HK can help identify and reach the target audience
here in Hong Kong and in the Greater China region.  ISOC HK has hosted many
successful large scale and targeted events previously, which have attracted top
tier press coverage.

Looking at the Communications Plan, we believe ISOC HK will be able to assist
in the localization and production of the materials, including:  7. Educational
videos, 8. Video blogs, 10. Advertising materials, 11. Social media – Facebook
page, Twitter feed, blog, 12. Presentations, 13. Speeches, 14. Proactive story
pitches to news organizations.

Regarding the plan itself, the general approach seems to be reasonable.
However, we make the following observations:

I. It is identified that five major regional launches/road shows will be
conducted.  This seems to be a major undertaking, however no further provisions
are included in the "Materials" section. While an RFP for advertising agency is
mentioned, no procurement is included for the road show events.  We believe
this should be a core part of the outreach program and should be given more
consideration.  We also feel that ISOC HK can provide strong support in this
area, especially for Hong Kong and the Greater China region.

II. While in the Tone and Vision section it is mentioned that: Our
communications will not say, “You should invest in your own TLD”, the Themes
chosen seem to be contra to the Tone and Vision.  For example: "What will be
the next big .thing? You name it!" clearly has an inclination towards "you"
investing into the "next big .thing".  Whereas the Tone and Vision intended was
to be neutral, the Themes are not.  Perhaps themes more directed towards the
global social and economic impact of TLDs would be more appropriate and better
aligned with the Tone and Vision.

III. The overall direction seems to place an emphasis on an advertising
approach, with slogans, logos and themes described towards that mindset.  We
wonder if, given the limited resources for the global outreach program for a
targeted audience, whether an advertising-led approach would be appropriate.
As the document explained, the aim for the first phase would be to reach
potential applicants (further discussion on this point in IV. below).  That
community would be a more targeted group, whereas an advertising-led campaign
would generally be more mass-market oriented.  We believe more emphasis perhaps
should be put in road-shows, events, education and public relations oriented
approaches.

IV. It is identified that the "Initial communications will target the business
community, potential applicants and the tech community".  We believe that
communities and Internet users at large are also important because they are
also important participants in the process, including as potential objectors
and also as communities for which applicants may purport to be representing.
Nevertheless, given the limited resources, we agree that emphasis should be
placed on the business community, potential applicants and the tech community,
however, it would not be appropriate if the general Internet users are
completely left out of the plan.

In general, we believe that a model of leveraging the local knowledge,
experience and network of ALSes should be a model for ICANN outreach
activities, including the New gTLD Communications Plan.  ICANN should make it a
policy in its selection of suppliers consistent with its mandate for outreach
and to support competition.  More specifically, ICANN's selection of suppliers
for the Global Awareness outreach should not favour multinational advertising
agencies, but rather should support local suppliers who are knowledgeable about
the subject matter and in tune with the ICANN community.  This would not only
be a more cost-effective approach in reaching the target audience, but also be
in itself a truly community sensitive and sensible outreach program.

We look forward to a New gTLD Communications Plan that sincerely takes into
consideration of local communities around the world and not US centric.

ISOC HK