ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[nomcom-bylaw-revision]

On Proposed bylaw change

  • To: nomcom-bylaw-revision@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: On Proposed bylaw change
  • From: "Carlton Samuels" <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 19:25:16 -0500

I believe the proposal to use declared domicile as an alternate test for
diversity in considering Board appointment is flawed.  In fact, it could be
exploited in a 'trojan horse operation' to deliver the exact opposite of
what was intended.

If we would wish to address the matter of persons of dual citizenship
serving in the context of Board diversity, then it would be far more useful
to keep citizenship and ADD domicile as a test condition, with a greater
weight given to citizenship.

Of even greater and perhaps more far-reaching concern is diversity in ICANN
staff, especially those at senior levels that impact policy.  The current
ICANN employment posture discriminates against qualified applicants that are
not legally entitled to work in the *United States of America, the European
Union and Switzerland*. This seemingly benign posture actively deny equal
protection and equality of opportunity to otherwise qualified *Africans,
Latin Americans, Asians and Caribbean nationals*, separating us from one
very important area of meaningful input to global Internet policy.

When challenged to justify this position relative to the posturing on
support for diversity befitting a would-be global organization, the ICANN
corporation refers to its policy on nonsponsorship and its resolve not to
become involved in work visa issues. I believe the statement was intended to
be without guile.

In these matters you feel the hand of Esau even as you hear the voice of
Jacob.

Kind regards,
Carlton A Samuels
The University of the West Indies ALS & LACRALO Secretariat