ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] NPOC Policy Committee and Policy Issues

  • To: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] NPOC Policy Committee and Policy Issues
  • From: Sam Lanfranco <lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 21:44:57 -0500

Dear NPOC membership,(/this may be a re-send, the previous version is lost in cyberspace/)

This is an update from the Chair of the NPOC Policy Committee. It will be followed by two npoc-voice postings that feed policy issue for dialogues, to arrive at NPOC positions on the two policy issues.

I became Chair of the NPOC Policy Committee several months ago, and relatively new to ICANN I faced a steep learning curve. Early on I recognized that there is a need for raising awareness and deepening and broadening NPO/Civil Society engagement in matters of Internet policy, both inside ICANN and in the Internet ecosystem at large. NPOC will be proposing strategies to address this challenge, strategies that involve NPCO collaboration with others.

One "in-house" issue is how is the NPOC Policy Committee constituted? For now I am taken the position that the whole NPOC membership constitutes the policy committee. Policy issues can come from membership, ICANN activities, or Internet policy making entities across the globe. Policy issues will feed into membership dialogue. Agenda items will come from three sources: the NPOC executive committee; the NPOC membership, and from outside the ICANN orbit.

Check your email for a policy issue related message, following shortly.

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
NPOC Policy Committee