ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc]

[npoc] Fwd: Regarding request to add an additional seat to the nominating committee for the NPOC constituency

  • To: npoc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [npoc] Fwd: Regarding request to add an additional seat to the nominating committee for the NPOC constituency
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:07:49 -0500

Dear NPOC-EC Colleagues,

FYI

Cheers, Alain

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: Regarding request to add an additional seat to the nominating
committee for the NPOC constituency
To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Amy Stathos <amy.stathos@xxxxxxxxx>, Ray Plzak <plzakr@xxxxxxxxx>, John
Jeffrey <john.jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>

Hello again Bruce,

Sorry for belated response to your question below on account of recent
vacations.

*You say below: "Does that refer to travel funding for nominating committee
members?   I have heard issues of travel funding come up in other forums as
well - including that the nominating committee may not need to actually
meet at an ICANN meeting, but could meet elsewhere."*
*
*
Yes it does. Since Nom Com actually meets at ICANN meetings, my statement
that NPOC gets one less representative at ICANN meetings is true
(compounding further that NPOC is "less equal amongst equal Constituencies"
because it is the only Constituency without a Nom Com seat). If and when
Non Com meets elsewhere, of course my statement would not stand. The former
is the current reality (and has been since I became active at ICANN at the
San Francisco meeting), the latter is hypothetical.

The other impact of NPOC's exclusion is that Civil Society is only
represented by two Nom Com seats (currently held by Adam Peake and Rafik
Dammak) instead of having 3 seats out of a total of 21 seats. Not quite an
equal voice between civil society, government and private sector, the very
basic "troïka" or "3-legged stool" at the heart of a multi-stakeholder
model.

I reiterate that giving a Nom Com seat to NPOC can be dealt with easily and
on a short-term basis, while "more complex Structural Improvements"
naturally take more time. I hear excellent management rationale at various
times from Ray Plzak and would love to hear his views on NPOC's position
here.

Ray, my generic question is, albeit probably naive given my newness in
ICANN: in an organization, does all structural improvements need to be
parked and dealt with as a batch? or can "easy and simple" structural
improvements, like NPOC's request in my opinion, be treated soonest
possible.

I do not think I will have any more questions on this subject after this.
NPOC holds a Constituency-wide monthly call on the second Tuesday of every
month and this situation is on our agenda for Dec 11, 2012.

Best regards, Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Member, Board of Directors, CECI,

AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ
Ce courriel est confidentiel et est à l’usage exclusif du destinataire
ci-dessus. Toute personne qui lit le présent message sans en être le
destinataire, ou l’employé(e) ou la personne responsable de le remettre au
destinataire, est par les présentes avisée qu’il lui est strictement
interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer, de le modifier ou de le
reproduire, en tout ou en partie . Si le destinataire ne peut être joint ou
si ce document vous a été communiqué par erreur, veuillez nous en informer
sur le champ  et détruire ce courriel et toute copie de celui-ci. Merci de
votre coopération.

CONFIDENTIALITY MESSAGE
This e-mail message is confidential and is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee. Please note that, should this message be read by anyone
other than the addressee, his or her employee or the person responsible for
forwarding it to the addressee, it is strictly prohibited to disclose,
distribute, modify or reproduce the contents of this message, in whole or
in part. If the addressee cannot be reached or if you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete this e-mail and
destroy all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.