ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

What happens after 10 years?

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: What happens after 10 years?
  • From: Tee <lapmagic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hello. I am writing this to express my concern about
the new contracts for the .info, .biz and .org
registries that ICANN is considering. My understanding
is that price controls for registry services, which I
assume include domain registration, will be lifted,
and that this means that domains could be priced
individually based on some criteria and that renewal
fees could be changed to any amount.

I have also read comments by many and one that struck
me was that the registries would never do it, because
it would be suicide, because 6 months notice would
allow registrants to register their domains for up to
10 years in advance.

Personally, I am not so sure I could afford to
register all my domains for 10 years. Additionally, I
am afraid that once the ten years is up, I could be
hit with staggering renewal fess, especially on my
more generic domains. I worry that my development will
have been hard work for nothing, because in ten years
time I could be hit with for me, unaffordable renewal
fees, and my domains and work will be taken from me.
The prospect of this has me very worried.

I hope that ICANN will put in price controls so that
domain registrants and especially developers like
myself do not have to fear their domains and hard work
being taken from them through registration and renewal
fees that have no cap.

Thank you,
generic