ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

Comments on proposals to change .org agreements

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on proposals to change .org agreements
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:30:57 -0700

I have had domain names in .org since before there was an ICANN, since before there was a PIR, and before there was PIR's predecessor, Network Solutions and Verisign.

In the strongest of terms I object to having the terms of my domain name agreements changed by a body, such as ICANN, in which I and others like me have no meaningful voice.

I am, for all practical purposes, locked into .org. The value and recognition that I have built into those names over more than a decade is, by these agreements, turned into a lever through which the registry can squeeze and squeeze and squeeze.

And what good is 6 months advance notice? ICANN doesn't listen to internet users, so even if we had 20 years notice, it wouldn't make any difference - the proposed change would occur nevertheless.

ICANN's Chairman has said that we respond to changes by buying a maximum-term contract - 10 years - and thus lock in the existing terms for 10 years. 10 years? When we build brands we build brands for terms much longer than 10 years.

All that ICANN is doing is delaying the doom, not eliminating it. With a full load of sarcasm: Big deal.

And why 10 years? Why not 50? Why has ICANN limited our registrations to 10 years? The 10 year limit was decided during ICANN's first year without debate, without discussion. in fact nobody knows how it came to be. But no matter the details of its septic conception, what is quite clear is that it is an arbitrary and capricious limitation.

These agreements abandon all pretense that ICANN is anything but a body that promotes the interests of registries over the backs of domain name registrants.

ICANN seems to have been infected with a virus that drives it to make every registry agreement as bad as the one with Verisign for .com.

Perhaps ICANN should take a cure and stop its race to make everything equally bad and, instead, try to create agreements that protect internet users from predatory practices.

And perhaps along the way ICANN might recognize that unless it actually admits internet users into its decision making processes - the ALAC being a joke - ICANN will never have legitimacy when it pretends to be a protector of the interests of those users.

And why should I be tied to the rack of ICANN's ever increasing fee? I don't believe that ICANN gives me $0.15/year of value, much less the higher amounts ICANN grants to itself in the contracts. Perhaps theis fee would be fair if ICANN were to restore its broken promise that internet users would elect at least half of the board of directors, but as long as that promise remains broken ICANN does not deserve any per-domain fee.

Presumptive renewal - Presumptive renewal is a bad idea. And it is entirely and completely unjustified for .org. .Org existed before there was a PIR; PIR is, at best, a caretaker or trustee for .org. Yet ICANN proposes, through presumptive renewal to make PIR the owner of .org.

On another matter altogether - Section 3.1(f) of the agreement is mis characterized in the summary web page. As written, section 3.1(f) allows just about any kind of data mining, data manipulation, or differential name resolution service (in favor of or against any data source or name query contents) as long as personally identifiable information is not disclosed.

Other parts of section 3.1(f) are badly written - such as the jagged inclusion of the phrase "promoting the sale of domain names" in a list of diagnostic activities - which ICANN lobbyist included that gem in the rough?

And what is the meaning of that seemingly random sentence "The process for the introduction of new Registry Services shall not apply to such traffic data."? And that sentence "Nothing contained in this section 3.1(f) shall be deemed to constitute consent or acquiescence by ICANN to an introduction by Registry Operator of a service employing a universal wildcard function." is completely unclear - it neither prohibits nor denies but merely indicates ICANN's lack of consent, without regard to whether that consent is necessary.

My recommendation is that ICANN step back, take a deep breath, discharge JDRP and the attorneys who drafted this turkey, and begin anew.

                --karl--
                Karl Auerbach
                Former (and only) publicly elected director to ICANN for
                North America

PS - I write this comment in the belief that no one on ICANN's board will ever see it; that it will be "summarized" out of existence by ICANN's staff. If a board member actually does read this I would appreciate an indication of the fact.