ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

If approved, there is little incentive to build good org websites in the future!

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: If approved, there is little incentive to build good org websites in the future!
  • From: properties <properties@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:29:44 -0700

The ICANN proposed new agreement makes all the devoted com guys who always
said to "buy nothing but com's" brilliant since only large owners of biz
info and org are effected by no future price caps being allowed since a
removal of fixed prices does not apply to com.

Beginning to think I should possibly sell many of our hundreds of org's (at
this time I never sell as we are developers only) rather than be faced with
high renewal fees in the future once the registry realizes you get good
traffic or have a valuable website, and decide they can hold the domain
ransom, as is very likely to occur.

If this is approved there will be little incentive to build good websites
with those extensions and perhaps be faced with a $10k/year or more renewal
fee in a few years or less. If you don't pay the registry may get the name
back and sell it for more than 10k so they can come out ahead either way at
expense of the domain owner who wasted his time making the site valuable.

At this time we are stopping the building and enhancing of all our dot org
websites, at least until reasonable fixed pricing is established in the
future due to the uncertainty. In addition, if this sky is the limit pricing
is approved we likely will eventually start selling some of our org websites
which we feel could be priced quite high in a few yrs.

Since we have so many org's, renewing for 10-years is not really a viable
option. Plus even if we renew our best ones for 10 years it would make the 1
year renewal price in 10-years even more inflated since the domain and site
would be so well established by then, perhaps we may get a bill for 100k for
the good ones once the 10-years is over.

Hard to believe ICANN wants to push this thru to most everyone's detriment.
IMO, a problem is the apparent all too cozy relationship they have with the
registries. Please stop the insanity and elimate open-ended pricing!