ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

.ORG registration fees.

  • To: <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .ORG registration fees.
  • From: <ufo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:20:34 +0100

Dear Icann,

Please note that implementing variable pricing as a monopoly provider on the
Web exposes you to substantial legal exposure.

Firstly, there would be no relationship between the cost to service the
domain by yourselves and the price you receive. In fact you would be
charging on the ability to bear the cost (Or the economic damages that would
be inflicted), and not on the basis for service rendered.

Trying to achieve variable increases on already issued domains will show
that you are exploiting goodwill, effort, and the prices already invested by
third parties to acquire premium domains in the marketplace.

I also believe that your intent also goes completely against the basis for
laws such as the anti cyber squatting legislation.

I think you will find yourself guilty of essentially extorting funds out of
premium domain holders and registered trademark holders.

I will not hesitate to lay complaint with various legal trading standard
bodies here in Britain and in the EU.

Nb: This communication is based on advice received that you are seeking to
achieve variable and potentially incremental pricing on already registered
domain names.

NNb: There is a world of difference between new issue variable pricing, and
charging domain holders on the quality of their domains already held.

UFO.ORG