ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[org-tld-agreement]

monopolies need regulation

  • To: org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: monopolies need regulation
  • From: Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:57:43 -0400

Lifting the pricing cap could only work if there was competition
between multiple registries.  However, registries are monopolies.

Say that a search engine company, lets call them Google, has
built up a valuable name, associated with the domain google.com.

This domain was not worth anything before.  It is worth a lot
now, but because of Google's own actions and not due to any
action by the registry.

The proposed scheme in effect punishes companies for adding
value to the internet.

Offline all monopolies tend to be strictly regulated or get
regulated forcefully.  The same thing needs to be true online.

The only alternative that I can see would be free market
competition between various DNS roots.  ICANN's job is to
manage the current DNS root well enough that we won't have
to switch to an alternative DNS root...

--
What is important?  What you want to be true, or what is true?